Tanner Historic District Aurora – Tanner Historic District Homes
The Tanner Historic District is named after the Tanner Family and includes the Tanner House – built in 1856 by William Tanner, a local Aurora businessman. Currently home to the Aurora Historical Museum, the Tanner House and surrounding structures feature prime examples of period architecture from the mid-to-late 19th century to early 20th century. Some of the types of architecture displayed include Italianate, Victorian, Queen Anne, Prairie Style, English Cottage, Bungalow as well as others. The largest of the west-side historic districts, the Tanner Historic District is located on the west side of the Fox River just to the west of Lake Street, north of Galena Boulevard and south of Illinois. Homes in the Tanner Historic District range in age from the 1850’s to the early and mid 1900’s. Some of the larger homes approach 3000 square feet – true mansions for that time period.
Tanner Historic District home owners can often pride themselves for living in a true piece of Aurora history. Many of the homes are listed with the Illinois Historical Structures Registry and restoration efforts are ongoing with many several notable homes in this area. The Tanner Historic District is located close to downtown Aurora and its convenient location makes it popular for owners working in and around Aurora, especially those who are interested in local history. Shopping venues include the Jewel grocery store north on Lake Street as well as many local stores in the downtown area. The Hollywood Casino as well as the new riverwalk are also located conveniently close to the Tanner Historic District. Some of the main streets in this area include Oak Ave, Spruce St., Wilder St. and Grand Ave. The Palace Historic District is located just north of this area.